fot

RE: Aluminum front hubs, now stock hub mod

To: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Aluminum front hubs, now stock hub mod
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:40:07 -0500
Actually, I run the aluminum hubs and have no personal experience with the
through bolt setup.  I'm just passing it along as an alternative.  Before
the Aluminum hubs, that was the "keep the wheels on the car" fix that was
passed along to the list in the past by several other TR racers.  I can see
where it's easier to drill out the inner holes and use the outer ones with
suitable spacers to "pre-load" the part, but I can also see where that may
deform the hub slightly if the spacers aren't perfect and make it so that
the wheel face is no longer true with the rotor face.  The gap where the
hub is necked down is tapered on both sides, so making a spacer to
perfectly fits that gap seems like it would be challenging.  I would think
that with threads on both sides, the spacer is less critical.

Certainly, any of the list members with direct experience with this
modification are free to contradict what I'm saying with their real-world
experience!

- Tony