fot

Re: To Ebay or not to Ebay ?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To Ebay or not to Ebay ?
From: "Jeff Snook" <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:04:14 -0500
H Cary,

I have listed (and eventually sold) over 60 cars (street cars, not race
cars) on eBay the last three years.  My advise would be to:

1. Take lots of photos and pick the best 24 to put with the listing.  Make
sure the photos are clear and show the car off to its best vantage.
2. Use the picture pak feature and then the feature to have the pictures
come up supersized when someone downloads your listing.  Costs a few bucks
more, but makes it much easier for viewers to check it out.
3. Set a reserve that might be a little higher than you could live with. You
can always negotiate after the auction ends if it does not meet the reserve.
4. Set a Buy It Now price a thousand or so higher than your reserve.  That
lets people kinda know where your price is and also gives someone a chance
to buy it now who does not want to screw around with an "auction".
5. Go through the car very thoroughly and list everything is not right with
it.  I use a dozen or so different categories and spell out what is good and
what is not regarding interior, exterior, engine compartment, drivetrain,
tires, trim, etc.  My feeling is you can not give "too much" information to
a prospective buyer who may buy it sight unseen from thousands of miles
away.
6. Don't use all caps in your description. Don't use small fonts (I use 14).
Don't write in one big paragraph, break it up into manageable bites.

I view eBay listings every day looking at 20 or so different models.  You
would be surprised what bad listings I find.  If you put a little effort up
front with the process you will find it is a pretty amazing marketing tool
to help you sell a car.

You might want to check out www.race-cars.com to see how they list cars.
They put lots of info in their listings and it may help you with yours.

Good luck and if I can help with any more tips/ideas, just let me know.
I've got a 1965 Mustang convertible (project car) and a 1972 Cutlass
convertible (nice driver) I am getting ready to list on eBay once the
Holiday season is over.

Vroom, vroom,

Jeff Snook
http://www.snooksdreamcars.com