fot

timing chain tensioners (double row TR6 style)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: timing chain tensioners (double row TR6 style)
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:19:55 -0600
Amici,

A couple of years ago during the last race on the last day at Mosport
Susan's racing came to a stop due to what turned out to be a shredded
timing chain tensioner.

The timing chain and tensioner are the double row type as used in TR6
engines.

The engine was rebuilt with a new tensioner and ran one race weekend.  We
had to pull the engine apart for another matter and looked at the
tensioner.  It already had grooves in it after just 3 days of racing.  We
replaced the tensioner at that time and she then ran one more race
weekend at VIR.  I pulled the front timing cover last night to inspect
the tensioner and this one also has grooves in it, after only one race
weekend.  Oiling is not a problem as everything looks well oiled, no wear
on anything else.

I called TRF today to see if they had any instock and was informed that
they have not had any since last fall.  Apparently they are in search of
a manufacturer that handles quality tensioners.

Anyone out there know of a good source for a TR6 timing chain tensioner
that will last for more than one race weekend?

Thanks,

Brad
1967 Spitfire crew chief