fot

Re: Intake gaskets

To: SHANE Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Intake gaskets
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:12:59 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, SHANE Ingate wrote:

> Steve Smith asked:
>
> >Do I recall some one mentioning heavy duty intake manifold gaskets a while
> >back?  I thought it was from Moss and I thought for the six cylinder but

I bought a bunch of these back in the 90's - the Moss part was a nice
thick black fiber material. But I never saw one for an early fed. spec TR6
motor...  near as I know, the late GT6 head is a PI head which is the same
as the late fed. spec TR6 head... so if your GT6 motor used a late head,
the heavy duty Moss part should do the trick.

Funny thing is - I bought so many back then that I haven't purchased a
complete head set for about 5 years, and I've done at least three
teardowns in that time. Oh well. I'm doing one now, so I get to figure out
what I need in a week or so!

The gaskets that Shane mentions are the Payen units with the metal
reinforcement around the ports. I like these for street motors which
(hopefully) go a lot longer between teardowns. The originals would blow
out on the ends over time when the "sandwich material" dried out. I
changed plenty of those "back in the day"... at night, in the rain, with
frozen downpipe bolts, waaaa waaaaa.... :-)

rml