fot

Re: [FOT] tr3 alternator/negative ground

To: KENMUN@aol.com, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] tr3 alternator/negative ground
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:00:24 -0600
Ken, haven't seen any responses to this, so I'll jump in.
I'm not sure what changes have to be made to the starter when going
from positive ground to negative ground.  If you buy one of
Shumaker's gear reduction starters, that problem's solved.

Of course, ground the negative side of the battery.  If you are
running the ammeter, you'll need to reverse the wires to it, I think.

Take the generator bracket off of the side of the motor, and plug the
holes with bolts and sealant - they go through the block and will
leak if left open.  Use a one wire alternator of some sort (most use
the GM, but some use little japanese ones).  Bottom attaches to the
front of the front plate where the old generator mounted.  Put a
strap from the front of that bolt to a water pump bolt.  You may have
to saw a bit off of the alternator to make the pulleys line up.  Mine
needed about 1/4" - GM one wire alternator.  Use stock upper
adjustment strap.  Put oversized pulley on alternator so it doesn't
spin too fast and burn up the bearings.  (Moroso or something)

Buy narrow pulley arrangement (crank and water pump) from
Gillanders.  Run the narrow belt.

Have master switch either cut off ignition or alternator wire.  Mine
does the alternator wire.  I prefer that to the ones that cut off the
ignition.  But I've heard strong arguments in favor of the opposite.

May have to swap wires on the coil primary so that plus is on the correct side.

The factory radio won't work in this arrangement.  :)

- Tony Drews