fot

Re: [FOT] Clutches

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Clutches
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:59:30 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Charly Mitchel wrote:

> Tony, we've been looking for the same solution, thanks for asking.
> I had 3 B&B clutch problems in 1 year.  The first time the spring steel tabs
> that locate the cover to the pressure plate came loose.  Then the center of
> the clutch plate ripped loose, held by three rivets.  Then another cover
> failure at the steel tabs again.
> I then went to a rebuilt LUK (laycock) and had very few problems except I
> burned the clutch disc (it was a used one).
> I've been searching for a good replacement and haven't found anybody
> knowledgeable about whether a Tilton or Quartermaster is a simple
> installation.  There is a B&B HD clutch, but from what I understand it's the
> same as the stock with heavier springs.
> Let me know if you find anything, we need at least 2 here.

Call SPEC clutches. I got a couple of them and I've been using them for
the last year on the race car. They bolt in, but you can get them
lightened. They offer "stages", but the stage one clutch is good for 200
HP. They are not cheap, but they appear to be a quality part.

www.specclutch.com

I got the company info from Fidanza when I was looking for a clutch.

I ran the B&B HD clutch for 5 seasons and I only switched to SPEC because
I changed to a C/R gearbox and that uses a different clutch disk, so
changing the whole shebang made sense. My motor isn't too strong (maybe
150 HP flywheel HP) so if your motor is stronger, you might want to think
about the stage 2 setup.

> Charly Mitchel
> TR6 #44

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx