fot

[FOT] liner coatings update

To: "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] liner coatings update
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:01:00 -0600
I guess I am the first to experience this new wrinkle. Ken Gilanders called LA
Sleeve and they told him about a coating that they put on the sleeves to
prevent rust. There is no question in my mind that this stuff is going to
cause problems. I can't get the stuff off with solvents. After substantial
rotational sanding of the top liner surface on 400 wet/dry paper moistened
with oil I could not get the liner protrusion equal across the engine. I
resorted to 320 on a block but still couldn't get it cut down enough. I
struggled with it because 3 and 4 had almost two thou more protrusion than 1
and 2. I noticed that I had taken more coating off of 3 and 4 so I tried
substitution of a thinner figure 8 from my stash. That still didn't work so I
finally checked the figure 8 surface on the rear liners. 1 and 2 did not have
any coating on that surface and 3 and 4 do. I guess it's 2+ thou thick. I have
those surfaces coated with aircraft paint remover at the moment after giving
up on trying to sand off in that difficult area.

I know this sounds like a rant. I really don't want to blame anyone because
they were trying to improve things, but a sprayed on coating with inconsistent
results, orange peeling and unknown properties just mucks up the process. Even
when I get my liner protrusion the same across the board I still expect
problems. I haven't clamped it down yet, but tapped in the liners have 6 thou
clearance and I think I'll have trouble getting it to 3 or 4 where I want it
without making up some thinner seals.

Ken, if you are reading this ask the supplier if they know how to take this
stuff off.

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com