fot

RE: [FOT] Re: 10 in Alfin Brake Drums

To: Dean Tetterton <richtr@erols.com>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] Re: 10 in Alfin Brake Drums
From: Dennis DeLap <yellow-green@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 18:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
Dean - thanks for coming back with your expertise on this one. I have the
Datsun drums on my 3 and they do not look like these - plus there is the 10"
issue.
  I do have a question for the group - what is the screw in stud reference all
about - I only know about the press in splined stud.  I use the 3" moroso 7/16"
stud pressed into the southwick axles.

  Dennis

Dean Tetterton <richtr@erols.com> wrote:
  AS I identified these as Al-Fin drums, I feel I should explain why I think
they are.
First off 240Z drums aren't made in 10in.
The shape of the front is the same as the 10 inch Al-Fin drums that came on
my 58 TR3 that I have owned since 1964. My car now has 9 in drums that are
from a 240Z so I know what they look like also.
The drums in the ad have no groove on the back edge for the backing plate as
they fit over the outside of the backing plate.
The ad says they are not marked. Could be they are, as mine have very small
letters opposite the inspection hole and are very hard to see. Mine are
marked Al-Fin with the dash in the name. Now they may not be Standard
Triumph drums but were sold during the period. Mine were on the car in 1964,
long before there were any 240Z drums.

Dean T.