fot

Re: [FOT] Help on CR TR4 Tranny---popping out of 3rd gear.

To: N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Help on CR TR4 Tranny---popping out of 3rd gear.
From: klynch7589@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:48:38 -0400
Joe, 2nd time going through the same thing. I was popping out of 4th & 3rd. A
bit hairy @ turn #1 at LaJunta flat out with no anchor.  Look at your input
shaft & compare it to a stock one.
If like mine, you may find just one (opposed to 3) EDM'd oil journal holes that
isn't remotely close to lubricating the spigot bearing. Depth of bearing
sholder cavity is .150 short which results in main shaft shoulder
rubbing/galling against the bearing surface. My first fix was new oil journals
since the sgigot bearing & main shaft burnt down, so we called it good. But
after 1 day on the new fix ,it was popping out again & making disturbing
noises. On the trailer she went Sat.nite. I pulled trans out again & we found
the bearing surfaces survived thanks to the new journals but on closer exam, it
became apparent the C/R input specs are lacking. I suppose a cam grinder will
be needed to machine the hardened input bearing detail.  2 other Triumph pilots
have had to do the same thing.I hope the above will save you several steps. Am
sorry to hear of the resulting motor munch. There was a thread on supplier
accountability earlier this year Joe, I'm hopeful this supplier will ste!
 p up for us.

  Kevin