fot

Re: [FOT] Clutch Slave Cylinder - Herald

To: billsohl@mindspring.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Clutch Slave Cylinder - Herald
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 22:09:04 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/2006 9:55:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
billsohl@mindspring.com writes:

OK  folks, any words of guidance on how to
actually get at the clutch slave  cylinder in a
Herald to
(1) bleed the line and/or to
(2) remove and  replace a slave cylinder?

My factory manual applies the same steps  for
Herald and Spitfires.

My "let's see how the access is" from  under
the car sez no way without removing the  transmission
cover...unless you have mini-arms, hands and  fingers.

==AM==
Bill, I've JUST managed to bleed a Herald or Spitfire clutch slave from
underneath...but I was a much younger man back then. ;-)

Reality is, "from the top" is much easier. On a Herald, it's a relatively
quick job to pull out the tunnel carpet and the tunnel (gearbox cover) itself.
At that point, it becomes a one-person job if you're limber enough to lie in
there and operate the clutch pedal with one hand while opening or closing the
bleed screw with a wrench in the other hand.

Not quite as easy with a Spitfire, with that central brace in the way. And
it got progressively worse as Spitfire interiors got more refined.

Some people actually cut access holes, but I'm not a fan of that idea. It's
a job that really shouldn't have to be done all that often, so it's worth
doing  right.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and  Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)