fot

[FOT] tow vehicles

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] tow vehicles
From: "riverside" <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:06:25 -0500
My TR3 was towed by a wide assortment of
vehicles, some well suited, others not.
The trailer was a sprung single axle, alledgedly
ex Horst Kwech (sp?).   Miserable piece of crap
that was last seen hauling canoes to Michigan.
First tow was by 62 Stude Hawk with 4 speed and
supercharger.
Then 60 International camperized school bus.  This was the best one.  I wish I
had it now.
Easy to drive, 10mpg.  Oldest child may have been
conceived within on the way back from WOR Games
at IRP 1970.   Please do not speculate on how a
dedicated crew is useful on the long tow home.
'57 Golden Hawk.
'62 Hawk     One of the few times I was scared for my life
was towing to MAR with this rig and having the aforementioned trailer whipping
on long narrow downhill
sections while meeting semis.
'58 Chrysler New Yorker 392 hemi - very nice car and
competent tower.  Good enough to tow at 100mph,
in a light rain,  towing a Vee.  Sure am not stupid
enough to do that again, at least not on bias plies.  Brakes failed at Road
Americaand towed all the way home with nothing but driveshaftparking brake.
Don't plan on doing that again either.

Heavy car's can work well - I especially like the long
wheelbase limo idea, but trucks are better IMHO.

art d