fot

Re: [FOT] blow-ups

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] blow-ups
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:33:54 EST
That's how I see it.  My Canton Mecca filters are nothing more than a fine
mesh screen where I can look for expensive bits.  I change the oil OFTEN and
wish to build a filtering system at home for cleaning out any minute dirt and
allow reuse with a clear conscience.  Steve

What I'm wondering is what function an oil filter really serves on a race-only
engine.  Seems to me that you wouldn't run a charge of oil long enough to pick
up any significant dirt; and the primary source of wear is not going to be
dirt
in the oil anyway.  Is the filter just to reduce the spread of swarf after a
failure ?