fot

Re: [Fot] SCCA Archives

To: jaboruch@netzero.net, BillB@bnj.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Archives
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:58:58 EST
In a message dated 12/22/06 6:40:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jaboruch@netzero.net writes:

<< I am using 87mm, but since I am racing SCCA that is the max that is legal
for EP.  I have a set of custom made Ross 89mm pistons that I used one year
with SCCA Vintage.  They are nice pistons, but one has a valve stemed size hole
thru the dome.  Too expensive to have 1 made to fix the set, so they will just
sit on the shelf till I get tired of looking at them.  Joe(B) >>

I guess that my engine is presently legal since it has the 87 mm Cosworth
popup pistons.  Down through the years, it seems that most people using the
flat
dome Heppolite pistons were secretly adding on 0.030" or 0.040" to the 87 mm
pistons.

I have always taken stock liners and a block to my machinist.  He clamps the
liners into the block, and bores them to the proper size for the pistons.  For
much larger pistons, I guess that special larger bore liners would have to be
purchased, and that the liner holes in the block would have to be enlarged.

<>

Isn't this the size of one of the stock pistons?  The TR-3 and TR-4 manuals
list a few different sizes of pistons, from the earliest to the latest.