fot

Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines

To: Fubog1@aol.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net, BillB@bnj.com,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:55:43 -0500
>hmmmm... exactly why I don't use single flare, they crack. I would suggest
>that the steel bundy tubing is perhaps more malleable than that used in
>aircraft? FWIW I never have cracking problems with automotive type bundy
>tubing.
>Just speculation on my part though. This is an interesting topic
>nonetheless.
>Glen

That's probably it. That's why I put the "Dunno" disclaimer in. The double
flares would crack right around the outside of the overlapping bend for the
"double" part of the flare. Maybe something was wrong with our tool.

Single flares get radial cracks when students overtighten the flaring tool;
it squishes the material. Or from overtightening the B-nut in a misguided
attempt to fix a leak.

John