fot

Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators and Electrolysis

To: "'Bill Babcock'" <billb@bnj.com>, "'John W'" <john@race-dogs.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators and Electrolysis
From: "Jim" <britbits@tiu.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:50:12 -0600
There's one thing I haven't seen mentioned... Thought I'd toss it out.

Why not have that wonderful new shiny aluminum radiator HARD ANODIZED black?

1)  The anodizing will help prevent corrosion, and the black compound seems
to work well.  We put pressure vessels (6061) down in the Gulf of Texas for
12-18 months at a time and they come back looking new.  Yes, they have
zincs.. And 316 stainless hardware.

2)  The black color radiates heat much better than silver.  "Black body
radiation" is not a myth, as proved by lab experiments in my freshman
Physics class.  Something like 10% or better... Enough to make a difference
on track.

3)  A black radiator looks kinda normal.  Something that your competitors
and the tech guy might overlook... After all it's a black radiator, aren't
they all?  ;)

That it happens to be larger and lighter than the stock unit.. Who are we to
quibble?

Based on what we get charged locally an industrial plating shop shouldn't
charge more than $50 or $75 for the job.  If they do, find another shop.  Or
ship them to me and I'll do it for a large markup plus shipping.  :D

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas
'76 DM Spitfire (with factory WIDE radiator in brass)