fot

Re: [Fot] thrust washer replacement

To: spreiss@verizon.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] thrust washer replacement
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:33:14 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/08 8:05:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
spreiss@verizon.net writes:

<< Has anyone ever attempted to replace the thrust washers in a TR3/4 engine  (
with .005 oversize washers) without first removing the engine or the crank?  If
 so, any tips or cautions?  Steve P. >>

It is very easy to change out thrust washers from under the car.  Half of
both thrust washers come out when removing the center main bearing cap.  You ca
normally rotate the new upper half of the thrust washer into the grove while
the old thrust washer rotates out.

I would be surprised if you get both of the 0.005" thrust washers in.  I have
used one oversize thrust washer and one stock size thrust washer to reduce
end play.  At one time, I believe that you could buy 0.003" and 0.004" size
thrust washers.