fot

Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?

To: WILLIAM TOBIN <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:30:08 -0700
No question, the point is that the guys who own the megabuck cars are
keeping them in the garage, and that's sad. It doesn't make sense to
change rules to make that even worse so that guys with good TR3's will
have good reason not to race.

The damage issue is a big deal with the handling difference of these
cars, and it's the same thing a guy in a 59 Testarossa with it's
limited brakes and skinny tires feels when Peyote stuffs inside him by
outbraking him.  I feel bad about that, and it would be nice to find a
solution, but vintage racing really has already changed. Hard to un-
ring that bell, but let's not find another to start banging on.

I intentionally left the Mitty, off the all aluminum Tour last year,
because racing with 70's cars with aero and slicks isn't that much
fun. The carnage in my group the year I ran in it was astonishing--
worse than a SCCA race. I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore when they
announced at the drivers meeting that cars with duct tape repairs had
to have permanent repairs before the next event. Hmmm, what happened
to suspensions for contact and the 13/13 rule.

I have no problem remembering my first vintage race--I wandered into
it by accident at PIR. GT40's, Testarossas, T70, 917, 908's, scarabs,
tipo 61's, and all kinds of other great cars. These days you only see
them at the Monterey Historics and big races like that.