fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 Performance upgrades

To: <lfritz82@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Performance upgrades
From: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:53:42 -0400
I suggest you spend a bit more time with your customer. There are
two important questions that need to be answered:
1) What does he/she intend to do with all that horsepower, and;
2) How much money does he/she want to spend (all the while
ensuring a balance between safety, handling, braking, reliability,
economy, time between rebuilds and hp)?

It is amazing that once these questions have been *honestly*
answered, the vast majority of TR6 drivers will prefer the
Moss Motors bolt-on supercharger.

Most TR6 drivers (actually, most drivers) are on some sort of
"my thing is bigger than your thing" kick, and obsessed with
having something that is dimensionally larger than their neighbor.
You got 15" wheels?  I got 17" wheels.  11" brakes?  I got 13" brakes.
350 hp?  I got 355 hp.  Yeah, like any of that stuff makes a
real difference.

What these folk do not realize is that you can scare yourself
silly, and have a ball doing it, with a vehicle that is completely
stock.  The number of times I have humiliated Corvette, or kit-
Cobras and yes, Miatas with my old stock TR6 on road or autoX courses
belies the fact that most drivers have no idea how to control what
they already have.  Of course, if they are good drivers, I'm the first
with the white flag.

I do not agree with your assessment that the "Strombergs have
got to go".  They have been badly maligned by folk who do not
understand carburetors, and mauled by folk who do not understand
multiple carburetion.  Strombergs can flow as much air as 1.75"
SUs, and are just as simple to set up.  The only bad thing I can
think of when talking Strombergs is that they are butt-ugly.

If you want to find out what can be done to a TR6 motor that is
still manageable and enjoyable on the road, have a look at:
http://triumph.hottr6.com/TR6motor.html
After reading that, I am sure your customer will very quickly decide
upon a supercharger.

Shane Ingate in NM