fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 Performance upgrades

To: Lorne Fritz <lfritz82@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Performance upgrades
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:27:25 -0700
The only route to more horsepower without increasing compression or
displacement is flow. Changing the carb won't necessarily do that
unless something else is done that turns the cab into a bottleneck.
the easiest route that will probably deliver enough new grunt to be
felt in the seat of the pants (ten percent) is a little cleanup to the
head. Match the ports to the intake manifold, clean up the
transitions. Stage two is a serious head porting job, bigger intake
valves,  and consider a carb change. Stage three it's cam and exhaust
header. Once you've done all that if you still need more you're into
compression and extreme mods and you probably don't want to go there.

You can get some good horsepower by blueprinting the motor, but you'd
probably increase compression slightly when you do that, and you'd
probably do a cam as well. It's also pretty expensive. I tracked my
hours on the motor I built for the All Aluminum tour, which was not a
highly modified lump--it ran two years of racing without a murmur and
probably would have run a third, but I had Tony Garmy freshen it up
anyway. Just good parts, good machining and very clean and careful
assembly. It was a little over 200 hours--$10,000 at fifty bucks an
hour.

Of course you could just fit a supercharger. There's some good kits
now. I don't know if there's a TR6 one yet, but that would work well.
On Jun 23, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Lorne Fritz wrote:

> Does anybody have any good ideas to up the horse powerof a TR6.  I
> have a
> customer who wants more power out of his street TR6.  I hate to
> suggest upping
> the compression because of the gas available today.  I want to put
> on headers,
> but the last set I got from the Roadster Factory didn't even fit.
> (any good
> ones available?).  I know the stock Strombergs have got to go.  I've
> heard of
> some people using SUs from a Volvo.  I heard of a fuel injection kit
> from
> someone in the North East. It uses GM injectors in the Strom.
> housings.  Has
> anybody used this set up and how does it work?
> Thanks in
> advance.  Any help is appreciated.  Lorne Fritz
>
> You are subscribed as billb@bnj.com

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com