fot

Re: [Fot] Formula 1 standings

To: Bill Sohl <billsohl@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Formula 1 standings
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:46:10 -0700
The FOX-carried F1 races run on a fox affiliate on Sunday and
speedvision on wednesday. I avoided F1 news until wednesday because I
haven't figured out how to get the FOX show tivo'ed. It was a great
race, well worth digging up to watch it.

If you're a race fan and don't have Tivo you're nutz.

Really, you've got to see this race. Hamilton's driving was superb,
amazing, inspired. I've driven high performance race cars in the rain
a lot (in Portland you learn to race in the rain or you don't race)
and I have NO idea how he does it. The camera coverage was amazing--
every spin and screw up had at least four or five camera angles. Masa
was spinning everywhere, his car was clearly not set up properly--he's
usually very good in the wet.  Kimi drove a great race, so did
Kovalinen. Rubens Bariccello came from a Q1 qualifying position to
finish third. Drove the wheels off that crappy honda, but was also
greatly aided by the right tire strategy--full wets while everyone
else was trying to use a drying track to get away with inters. Some
laps he was SEVEN SECONDS faster than P1.

Even Kimi--the king of catching a sliding car, did a spin. Heidfeld
finally drove a good solid race for second. Excellent, excellent race.
Diane was yelling and screaming so much I had to replay everything
twice just to hear what was going on. She's become quite an F1 fan.
Only sporting event she'll watch, but she's super hooked.  She even
watches most practices and never misses qualifying.

F1 has become a pretty big Sunday morning deal at Casa Babcock.
Champagne, strawberries and omelets, good Kona coffee. These fox races
are a pain in the neck. I think I have it set for the German GP, but
we'll see.

On Jul 10, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Bill Sohl wrote:

> Wow, about half way thru the season and there's a 3 way tie for the
> points lead...Hamilton, Massa and Raikkomen at 48 with Kubica only 2
> points off at 46.
>
> I tried watching the race last Sunday (British GP) but couldn't find
> it anywhere...although Autoweek magazine said it was to be carried
> by FOX.  The local FOX affiliate in Philadelphia had no mention or
> fit at all.  I ended up with live lap and sector stats coverage via
> Formula 1 web side.
>
> http://www.formula1.com/
>
> Very cool, even without the video.
>
> Cheers,