fot

Re: [Fot] Lever shock mounts

To: tr3a58@verizon.net, Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lever shock mounts
From: Don Elliott <58tr3a@videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:09:07 -0400
Bolts are usually for tightening in tension.  But the bolts for the rear
lever shocks are different in that when the lever arm moves up or down
during a bump, the shock body wants to rotate.  If the bolts are not tight
(in tension) then the body of the shock will rotate and the holes in the
support will become oval.  This could lead to weakening the support welded
to the frame.

I found it difficult to get a socket on the hex head because there is so
little clearance beween the socket and the recessed part of the casting for
the shock body.

To keep mine tight, I made 4 tubes 1-1/4" long and mounted the shocks with
bolts 1-1/4" longer than the original bolts.  This puts the hex head further
away from the shock body and because the hex head is now away from the
casting, it allows me to get a big socket on the head to make sure the bolts
are all really tight.