fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 piece between radiator and motor

To: jim hearn <jimhearn1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 piece between radiator and motor
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:22:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, jim hearn wrote:

> Has anyone successfully cut down the size of cross piece in front of the
> motor between the motor and radiator?  I need to get another half inch of
> clearance for an electric fan.  Thanks,

It's a tube... you can cut the cross section to make clearance and then
weld in a piece to box it and you won't loose any strength. Note that the
piece supports the shock towers (and to some extend it triangulates the
engine opening in the frame.

IMHO, the piece is way over designed. So you should be able to modify with
no problems as long as you leave more than half the diameter of the tube.
Round is stronger than square...

rml