fot

Re: [Fot] Quick ratio steering box for a TR6

To: jim hearn <jimhearn1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Quick ratio steering box for a TR6
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:11:29 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

On the quick rack... DO IT.

I put this off for a long time with my car and now that I have it I can't
believe that I waited this long.

When your car is set up properly, you need very little steering input to
get the car to turn. That's a good thing. The car shouldn't be "twitchy"
because of the steering rack. If the car is twitchy, you probably ahve a
wierd alignment issue. To be honest, straight line driving between corners
should be pretty boring (compared to constant transitions in autox).

I've also had a chance to drive several pretty kool autox cars this year
(while my TR6 was broken), and I learned a TONNE about using too much
steering input! The 100cc karts are awesome for this... so are properly
set up Formula Fords - but I digress.

Bottom line - get the quickrack, it's a great upgrade. If your car is
twitchy, make sure the car is tracking straight and you don't have too
much toe (front or back) and that you have equal caster on both sides and
the car will drive itself on the straight stuff.

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489