fot

[Fot] Towing cam (kinda OT)

To: FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Towing cam (kinda OT)
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:27:23 -0700
We're in the process of having the 454 in our smaller 20' Motorhome
rebuilt.  We plan on pulling a 31' race car trailer with this Motorhome
and I've been trying to figure out what cam would provide the best
overall performance for our application.  I would like one that has good
low end torque up to about 3000 rpm and still be reasonable on fuel
economy (of course!).  I've talked with several cam manufacturers and
that seems to just muddy the waters even more.

The heads have 2.02 intake valves and 1.76 exhaust valves.  The exhaust
manifold ports on the head small at 1.625" in size.  I've read and also
been told that the smaller exhaust ports will help provide better low
end torque so I'm planning on sticking with the heads that we have.  I'm
considering using the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold but can't seem
to find a good solution for a cam.

Anyone have any real world experience with a good RV towing cam for the
454 with turbo 400 transmission?

Thanks!

Brad