fot

Re: [Fot] determining differential ratios

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] determining differential ratios
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:31:17 -0400
Bobby, tried to reply last night and not sure if reply got through.
Here we go again. Apologies for sending twice if it did get through.
This will only work for "open", not welded or limited slip,
differential. Put a mark on the pinion (drive shaft) flange and  a mark
on one wheel (or tire or brake drum).  Keep the other wheel, tire,
etc.from turning. Turn the drive shaft and count the number of turns of
the pinion flange needed to get 1 revolution of the tire.  Multiply this
by 2 and you have the ratio. Example - just over 2 turns is a 4.1, just
under 4 turns is a 3.9, 1 3/4 turns is a 3.5, etc. All you have to do is
know what ratios were available.  The example of 1 3/4 turns as a 3.5 is
not quite correct. Triumph did not make a 3.5, but they did make a
3.45.  That's one method - no tools, no fuss, no dismantling. Ted

--
Ted Schumacher
tedtsimx@bright.net