fot

Re: [Fot] determining differential ratios

To: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] determining differential ratios
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:56:49 -0700
You can certainly do it by counting teeth--it's the number of teeth in
the ring gear divided by the number on the pinion. You can count them
in place by marking the driveshaft and the,  tire then have someone
rotate the tire ten revolutions while you count the driveshaft
revolutions. 41 driveshaft revolutions equals 4.11, 37 = 3.7, etc. You
do it for ten revolutions because it's hard to see the difference
between 3.7 revolutions and 3.9. You can do it for fewer tire revs but
ten makes the math easy.

On Oct 19, 2008, at 1:59 PM, Bobby Whitehead wrote:

> I've been told I have a 4:11 differential in my possession.  How can
> I determine which one it is? Do I count teeth on the pinion gear or
> what?
>
> Not the sharpest pencil in the stack....
>
> Bobby Whitehead
> #53 CVAR Triumph GT6 EP Group2

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins