fot

Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing

To: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>, Andre Rousseau <andre@gt6.ca>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing
From: michael cook <mlcooknj@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:17:22 -0400
So the discussion, once again, is about two things: The spirit of vintage
racing and competing to win. Competing seems to win every time. Mike Cook>
From: Billb@bnj.com> To: andre@gt6.ca> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:45:04 -0700>
CC: fot@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing> > What
makes you think bodies aren't already acid dipped? I'm working on > that
"personal lightening program"--have a weight bet going with my > brother.
Actually I think the most serious problem in vintage racing > is more that the
valuable cars can't be changed much--it would > decrease their sky-high
value--while specials and production racers > can skirt the edge of the
rulebook. That means there isn't a > testarossa on the planet that can stay
with Peyote, which is both > silly and sad. We don't get to see them on track
very often anymore-- > they are too valuable to risk and the owners don't like
getting > hammered by cars they should be able to romp over.> > I don't know
how to fix that. Making Peyote slow won't change anything > but the finish
order at a few races. All the fast triumphs are > rulebook-legal, more or
less. Or could be without putting a serious > dent in their lap times. The
worst anyone is doing is running 89mm > bores, and that's a tweak--not really
worth much--you can get nearly > the same horsepower with a 87. Pandoras box
is knowledge, we all know > how to make a car fast, we all have access to the
learning of the last > 50 years, and it goes into our cars, while testarossas
are stuck in > time.> > Of course if I had a TR the first thing I'd do would
be to make a > replica of the frame, only in titanium, and a carbon fibre
body. Then...> On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Andre Rousseau wrote:> > > I guess
that is the nature of racing, those with money will do what > > ever it> >
costs to win.> >> > What's next acid dipping of the bodies?> >> > Frankly if I
wanted to make my "future" racer lighter. I'd start with> > myself.> >> > A.>
>> > -- > > Andre Rousseau - andre@gt6.ca> > '68 Triumph GT6 MK1 -
http://www.gt6.ca/> > Ottawa, ON, Canada> >> > 2008/10/23
<Group44TR7@aol.com>> >> >> Good Morning> >>> >> What I am observing is that
some vintage racing groups are > >> going> >> down the same path as CanAm and
FI by allowing expensive > >> modifications to> >> take> >> place. Is there
really a need to have Kevlar bodywork on a > >> Spitfire or TR6> >> in> >>
vintage racing?> >>> >> It has always struck me as rather hypocritical that
vintage > >> groups> >> wanted owners to use pre 1972 body specification and
have the true> >> appearance> >> of post 1972 cars destroyed. Now we are
putting Kevlar replacement > >> panels> >> to> >> look like pre 1972 cars.>
>> instead running SCCA. I am just as guilty as the next person here, > >>
our> >> engines> >> are too modified. They are nothing like what was raced in
the > >> 1970s and> >> earlier.> >>> >> Vintage may be making itself too
expensive too.> >>> >> Baseball Dad> >