fot

Re: [Fot] State of F1

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of F1
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:39:11 -0700
> The purest form of programming is machine language.  But
> today the only things written in machine code are higher
> lever programming languages.  The application software
> becomes layers upon layers of various application and driver
> software programs leading to a large scale of inefficiency.

That's very true.  However, there is also a very good reason for it.  It
takes many many man-hours to create any significant program in hand-tweaked
assembly code; and these days no one is willing to pay for that kind of
craftsmanship or wait for the time it takes.  Using higher level languages
and other "inefficient" techniques can cut development time by a factor of
10!  The market is ruled by who gets there first, not who gets there with
the best code (otherwise Microsoft would have gone belly-up years ago).

And we won't even talk about the impossibility of maintaining that carefully
crafted assembly language; which is basically what killed Lotus 1-2-3.

Randall - who does still very occasionally code in assembly language