fot

Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing

To: "'Bill Babcock'" <Billb@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing
From: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:44:39 -0700
Totally agree with respect to DSR, I think it is far more cutthroat than HP,
at least in the Northwest.  The beauty of running a car that is in the
slowest class in the group is that you get to watch the carnage of the first
lap from the rear, and then can settle down and race within your own bunch.
Sunday, one of the Rabbits attempted to block pass the other one in the
first corner of the sprint race.  He got way sideways and ended up punching
the Armco that's at least 50 ft off the track.  Got to see it all from about
30 feet behind.

I ran the CRC this year and was amazed at how close everyone races without
touching.  38 cars in my group and not a problem anywhere.  Once again, the
attitude was the same, do the best you can, but give a wide berth to
everyone, plenty of racing room.  The biggest problem I saw with that venue
was the very short (15 minute) sprint races.  With 38 cars all fairly close
in lap times, it barely gives time for the group to settle out.  By the time
you're sizing up the guy in front of you and figuring out where you might be
able to pass him, the checkered flag comes out.