fot

[Fot] Good vibrations, bad vibrations

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Good vibrations, bad vibrations
From: "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer" <lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:17:54 -0600
Hello all,
I queried the list awhile back on my high speed vibration experienced
at The Glen and again [after having the drive-shaft straightened] at
Brainard. With lots of great ideas from the list, I now know that my
brake drums are in reasonable balance, diff is OK, axles are true and
now also know more about drive-shafts.
My theory is that the shop in Indy checked the shaft with a dial
indicator. They found it .030" out of true, straightened it, and did
some crude form of balance check and pronounced it "good to go".
Didn't solve the problem. My local and trusted axle/drive-shaft shop
put it on their [relatively] high-tech CNC machine and every red
light on the thing came on! The slip yoke was the culprit. Although
the slop was almost undetectable, it was just the grease in the
splines making things seem tight. When I left their shop I was
thinking of where to get another drive-shaft. Took me about 3 blocks
to realize that I already have a worn-out 45 year old drive-shaft...
why would I want another one? Had a new one made with Spicer
components and it should be good for another 45+ years.
The moral of the story is that we are [most] all driving around with
40+/- year old drive-shafts. This is not likely a problem experienced
"back in the day"... they simply hadn't gone enough miles. Any who
have the mystery vibrations might want to have a look.
After 6 races in the last 7 weekends, this weekend feels a bit 'blah'
rolling over to 6 of 8. Watkins Glen had been on the books since last
year and curtailed my out of town racing for the season. Brainard MN
was kind of on the way home. I got Tony's message when I had made it
more than 1/2 way home and made a U-turn in Wichita KS for Elkhart
Lake to run the Road America Vintage Enduro [hey Tony, did I remember
to say THANKS]?.  Home again for a day before I got the itch and
loaded up a BMW 2002 for the Pueblo [Colo] Enduro. After a couple
recovery days I was a bit down with the idea of not keeping the
streak going. That Thursday was my birthday and I remembered that the
racing streak wasn't over. Sunday was our monthly Karting league and
after missing a few races I still had a chance to regain 3rd in our
season points race - and did. The next weekend was actually a much
needed off. Last weekend was up to Pikes Peak International with "The
Brick" [IT spec 2002]. Hope to bring the average back up to 8 of 9
next weekend by running 2 races/2tracks in one weekend [TR + kart].
Broke, tired, broke, happy and did I mention BROKE?? But having more
fun than I thought was legal these days.
Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
TR4 #314
Albuquerque NM