fot

Re: [Fot] Was Weber carbs now SU Questions now Spit Clutch Release

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Was Weber carbs now SU Questions now Spit Clutch Release
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:25:05 -0700
I, too, have been having clutch issues with my clapped out street
squaretail.
It has a Mark 4 1300, a full synchro 3 rail, stock flywheel and clutch.
This
car is basically cobbled together from who knows what.

After the used clutch disk I put in fell apart ( I know, I know ) I put in
new stuff.  I was not getting full release so I pulled off the slave and
measured a few distances.  I came up with figures that showed the
slave piston had to travel just over an inch before the throw out bearing
would contact the diaphragm spring on the pressure plate.  So I cobbled
up a distance piece to take up the slack.  I'm guessing it took up TOO
much slack and overextended the diaphragm spring.  The car started
exhibiting clutch problems not many months later.  The clutch would
not fully release, and it wouldn't full grab.  When we yanked it apart
we found the diaphragm spring had broken into several pieces.  So
another set of new bits went in, the spacer came out.  You know, the
slave cylinder piston doesn't have to ALWAYS go all the way to
the back of the cylinder.

But now the Spit is doing the same no release, no grab stuff.  Time to
yank the tranny again to see what's going on.  There may be some
issues with the parts involved, the flywheel, bellhousing, gearbox
not wanting to play together.  Oh well.

mjb.