fot

Re: [Fot] new rules help

To: tstrange@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] new rules help
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 07:02:18 -1000
First, most vintage clubs do NOT require a HANS device, they just
recommend it. SVRA is the first I've heard of that is even considering
a requirement. If you get one, it won't interfere with your seat. My
seat is also high-backed and I don't notice any interference.

You can put the mounts on yourself, though most people who sell HANS
have been through training to install the mounts. It takes about 15
minutes to do, if you buy one trackside (as I did) the vendor can
usually do it while you wait or while you watch a race.

I think all the new HANS have sliding tethers. Guys who bought early
can get them modified for the cost of a new set of straps (as I
recall, about $20 )

The tethers hook to your helmet, the Hans device goes behind your head
and over your shoulders, fastened in place by your seat belts. No
modifications necessary.

Best lumbar support I've found you make yourself. Get some TAP two
part foam and a couple of garbage bags. Mix up a cup each of foam and
hardener, dump it in the bag, tape the bag to the top of the back of
your seat so the bag reaches to the bottom of the seat. Sit down and
wait for the foam to swell and then harden. You can use it as is or
cover it with duct tape. Be careful not to let the foam escape the
bag--messy stuff. I double bag and use smaller amounts of foam in
little steps and I still have sticky stuff on my rear firewall.

All the best Tom, I hope everything works out for you and you start
having a great time a the track again.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com