fot

Re: [Fot] SL-rated oil

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SL-rated oil
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Barr, Scott wrote:

> I've got half a case of SL-rated Castrol GTX 20w50 on the shelf.  Did
> the oil manufacturers switch to the SM rating at the same time as the
> ZDDP content was dropped?  I.e., what are the chances this oil has the
> proper ZDDP content?

If you want to split hairs, you really want API SG. The reduction started
then.

But oil that has the SL rating has been sitting "for a while" (like 10
years) and the additives package is most likely not as effective as new
oil would be, e.g. it's not fresh.

> Scott  ( who has some Redline ZDDP additive to drop in just to cover all
> the bases)

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489