fot

[Fot] Watkins Glen

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Watkins Glen
From: "WILLIAM TOBIN" <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:26:04 -0400
Hi all, I did the Vintage GP at the Glen over the weekend.
Most of the Triumph folks must have been returning from out west as there was
a shortage of TRs.
Dick Stockton was there with his very nice black rocket. Tim Suddard also had
his car there but I don't know if he ran it; too much going on to see
everything.
I did the re-enactment Friday evening. The event itself had some shakey
weather, but wasn't bad. The trip back to the track was miserable; moonsoonal
rains, cold, dark and ugly. Couldn't see a thing. We had a blast!  Andre
wasn't there so I had another felow fill in!
Saturday was ok and Sunday was nice. Quite a crowd of spectators and some nice
street Triumphs and other intereresting cars. There was an auction with some
nice machinery but I didn't attend and don't know how many sold and at what
prices. My favorite was a '68 Charger RT, red, gorgeous. OK, it's not British,
but I used to work on them. Nice car.
My 6 ran well for a stock engine that's geting tired. I had fun. I've knocked
10 seconds off my lap times with the same car and engine and am not getting
lapped all the time! Progress and seat time. If I had 15 more HP, I would have
beaten that pesky Morgan and that darned Bathtub Porsche!
Morgan and MG were the featured cars this year and there were many Morgans
there, all shapes and sizes. Some seemed to be missing the 4th wheel; those
guys have more nerve than I do!
There's a VRG race at the Glen in early Oct that I plan on attending. It's a
fun, rather low key event. The VRG guys also put on the PVGP event and others.
Nice bunch.

Later, Bill