fot

[Fot] tws part 2

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] tws part 2
From: "Greg & Alison Blake" <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:22:32 -0500
Part 2

New head gasket installed, I had an absolute blast following Bob &
Andrew around Sunday morning (pic below).  I had a strange noise coming
from the rear end one lap after the picture was taken. At the end of the
back straight I pitched it hard into turn 7 and it sounded like the
drive shaft had let go and was bouncing around.  I pulled in to check
things out.  When I drained the diff fluid, it was pretty shinny but non
metallic.  This is a welded diff so I am not too concerned about fine
brass bits in the diff.  Should I be?

Dad, Don Couch, and all the other Kramers were watching at the Carousel
as Bob, I, and Andrew came around the Carousel nose to tail.  I think
this was the point at which Dad found his confidence.  Watching Bob
pitch his car around the track let him see what the car could do.  For
the rest of Sunday, Dad was swapping positions with a 914.  At the end
of his sessions he would come in with a very big grin.  I know he is
hooked now.

I filled the diff in the 3 and ran again in the afternoon with group 7.
The noise reappeared after lap 3, I thought about coming in again but
decided to just back off a bit and keep driving.  The noise started to
die down a bit towards the end of the race.  Not sure what is going on
with this rear end.  This is the second fresh rear end in so many races.
I'll pull the cover before too long to check things out, again.

Links below to various picture from the weekend.  I'll send out another
link for the best picture of the weekend when Don gets us his photos.
Don??

This Dad, Bob Blake, learning the Carousel
http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/CVAR-TWS-9-200/Group-5/Sun-AM2/9709628_XabU
q/1/656590819_t4fof/Medium

This is Bob Kramer, AKA spares, borrowing Dad's car for the Sunday am
Group 7 race showing Andrew and I the line.

http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/CVAR-TWS-9-200/Group-7/Sun-AM1/9709692_vJrU
u/6/656627903_AtRU5/Small

Kramer really does have an amazing amount of knowledge and spares.
Along with the head gasket that he loaned me (I don't plan to give that
one back Bob) I asked for a spare rocker arm adjusting screw/nut and
push rod.  I had a nut back off which resulted in a stripped screw and
mushroomed pushrod.  Bob hands me a complete ready to bolt on rocker set
and a set of 8 push rods, take your pick.  Awesome.  Once again, I would
not have made it through the weekend without him.

Thanks for all the help, especially Dad and Bob.  You guys rock.

Larry,

LOVE THE CAM.

Greg