fot

[Fot] 1955 LeMan and TRIUMP...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] 1955 LeMan and TRIUMP...
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:45:50 EST
Amici...

Paul Richardson has another nice article in the current issue of TRIUMPH
WORLD, this one about TRIUMPH's participation in the 1955 race at LeMan.
Recall that is the race which had the terrible accident involving a Mercedes
and
an Austin Healey, 80 deaths and many more injuries.  Paul shares a lot of
inside information as to how the severity of the incident filtered down to
the teams throughout the race.  Everyone, of course, knew it was a serious
incident, but just how serious it was came to them in bits and pieces, and some
of it not until after the race was over.

The works team did quite well, putting the TR2 on the map.  I was surprised
to learn of some of the upgrades on the works cars.  I run the number '29'
on Ole Blue because of the lead TR2 in this race.  That car ran four wheel
disc brakes (I should upgrade).  The other two TR2s ran disc brakes up front,
and one had 10" Alvin drums in the rear.  These TR2s must have run
overdrive as well, as they were hitting 120 mph on the front straight.
Impressive.

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com