fot

Re: [Fot] RE -valve guides revisited

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] RE -valve guides revisited
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 22:09:25 -0500
One of the FOT shared some calculations with me concerning the
shrinking of clearances when hot...

With Bronze guides with 0.004" clearance and Stainless Steel valves
with 5/16" stems, when the exhaust valve hits 1000 degrees there will
be 0" of clearance.

I have no way to check the math and it's way above my pay grade, but
what Michael is describing is exactly the issue in my mind.  You want
to run a clearance just big enough to avoid sticking the valves.

I can't argue that Bronze is better than Iron for the guides, but a
number of have found that if you don't run "enough" clearance, bad
things can occur - and they get infinitely worse if you have enough
lift that you're running an interference valve train.

The conventional wisdom seemed to be that the iron guides had higher
wear or were somehow inferior to Bronze but I'm really unclear where
that notion came from.

Tony