fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 Cam Failure

To: "geoff byrne" <gkbyrne@optushome.com.au>, "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 Cam Failure
From: "Stutzmans" <stutzmans@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:11:32 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1363619489; bh=1cCer6M8d4N6v7kSRY8r1pw0ehpvzo3KzI1MPD7SnvA=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=E1HBUeMzllVW/97DJa8JdCMgyZC6Zvi/UpFx+UWyjkHTNpQcZ38bIy+5aZZwfNYOC /jrBvWjTsGvIf64b0nRHr8aB2DKS1NJ5w4wSUKZFZerFtq64OUUorhW5ZWLXcShIy/ sOrtUBpR2jTkohQG2InBL+uk0HY1cLNhhVOTKlBEhxm1fKAyFS0Xw6OhUcRJX+JsOI w6X+LQXGbIJWPMi4zX62BbXpTVg8jqdT9n8Pa/6QnFxY6ioSNsbdMYcktolhLnb+dM luAqjxw0hDqOhbdxHvtdTaijj5UDin4wZ63gjethcU6WIpEKLWRM6ByUT2GM9Uy8VT luk8oup2FcASA==
As time goes by we tend to forget some of the old lessons.  Except Hardy who
is right on.
TR3/4 cams were designed by the factory with the diameter of the front half
larger than  the back half.  This stopped the problem of cam deflection.
When cam grinders regrind these cams they have to remove some of this
increased thickness or the new lobe heels would be below the shaft.  Could
deflection return on these cams?
New blanks - I recently bought and installed a 270 from BPNW ground on a new
blank by David Newman in England.  This new blank, presumably from India,
did not have the factory increased diameter front half.  Could deflaction be
a problem?
Because of stories that the dizzy gear on new Indian made blanks was not cut
properly causing dizzy shafts to break, I test installed mine with die
makers blue and it was ok.  Could deflection have been the problem?
Bruce