fot

[Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Clutch Hydraulics Revisited
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 08:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I scanned the FOT archives quickly and maybe I missed seeing anything
definitive on the subject. My "issue" is that since I switched from the
stock TR6 clutch M/C to a Tilton unit, I've been having problems with
clutch disk / flywheel glazing (and subsequent slippage). Now, the problem
could be that I'm leaving my clutch foot resting on the clutch pedal, but
I installed a dead pedal a while back - perhaps before the latest clutch
installation - and in my videos, you can def hear what is either wheel
spin or clutch slippage when I floor it.

The Tilton clutch M/C that was installed has AN3 fittings and the stock
setup is AN4. Is there any chance that the smaller hose / pipe can
restrict the hydraulic motion in a way that can effect rapid clutch
release?

I'm next to positive that there's nothing stupid going on here, like a
residual pressure valve or something like that. I'm 99% sure I can push
the slave's pushrod and cause fluid to back-flow into the M/C reservior.

This is really annoying because the original clutch setup (a 69 M/C with a
used B&B PP and all "stock" stuff) lasted for 6 or 7 seasons and the new
setup(s) only seem to last 1/2 season or so. That's like 50 autocross
launches, max.

BTW, the dead pedal is so awesome that I forget to push the clutch in when
I start spinning. This has led to some pretty impressive 180's!!! Gotta
work on that aspect of my driving, I guess.

Regards,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive