fot

Re: [Fot] TR-4 Valve Spring Cap / Collar dilemma

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR-4 Valve Spring Cap / Collar dilemma
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 00:56:25 -0800
Organization: Engine Room s=q20140121; t=1451984181; bh=9zAU5t3XRG58WaAgU3JRqUHxm5oPRKmoidn0slRzUm8=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=F44SW5167zyjBZHLU/Xe2HgV/Ip31yjdlwhOItPUHjweR+2u/O2qDMz2fLGNQZ5w7 djv3qw8sZI6lxw7g2IrKEH1fEhmooE0ZtGC4rYdcZW71L29kTVFS84vmEIbCoSh634 dtsZSfxf378dTSLgMquMP1H7Xxhfr4gxBXiKWsXMVS3h5dYMSQbT8jZ8a7q6Khc27s +L6K1XABJEmFNWUKJyjl6spsNMfnmadXNKhCMwiwN8BdkpLMIYNF4DVqj2s1wLbb3N ui7nH/mQ1Dj3OAb3AXdWTCz5HOERtCiXLA1pDNGtLyQ527wat6/KVBH7Zt/8QRgfuy Hu8OyJ8enhySA==
I believe that the stock TR "keepers" or "spring retainer locks" have a 10
degree angle.  They do fit spring retainers made for locks with a 10 degree
angle.  I found have some  aluminum retainers that I think are the same as
those sold by Moss and I noticed that they do not "lock" tightly to the
keepers as they should.
        When I have used aluminum ally spring retainers in  a racing engine,
I have normally had them "hard anodized" to give them a hard surface that
will be more resistant to wear. I polish the ends of the valve spring where
they touch the spring retainer so that they will not abrade the retainer.
It is also important that the retainer be a tight fit to the spring. This
will help prevent the spring from moving around and "grinding " on the
retainer.  All of these factors are equally valid for Titanium spring
retainers also.
       At various times in the past I have had Titanium retainers made. They
were 2 or 3 sets at a time. They were not cheap. Maybe having 10 sets of 8
each done at a time might bring down the price.  The last time I had them
made was maybe 10 years ago. It seems to me the cost was around $125.00 for
8 retainers back then.

    Greg Solow

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com