fot

[Fot] Spitfire and GT6 steering rack question

Subject: [Fot] Spitfire and GT6 steering rack question
From: sjanzen at me.com (Scott Janzen)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 22:05:44 -0400
I found a bit of play in the inner ball joint and adjusted it by adding shims.
I can get it to a zero play setting, but when I then re-assemble it with the
spring behind the cup, the thing binds. It takes a decent amount of pressure on
the disconnected tie rod to move it - it?s about the same length as a 3/8?
ratchet wrench and it feels like I have to put 10+ ft-lb on it to get it to
move.

The inner ball joints have steel, not nylon, cups.  Question is, do I want this
bind?  What purpose does the spring really serve if the thing is adjusted
properly?

I have confirmed that I can push the spring fully into the rack - i.e., it is
not protruding when fully compressed which would have the effect of acting like
additional shims.

Or, have I missed something?  There?s not much to this mechanism, but maybe I?m
missing something obvious.

Last minute stuff before the K Cup!