fot

[Fot] vibration

Subject: [Fot] vibration
From: sjanzen at me.com (Scott Janzen)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 10:02:10 -0400
I used to have the exact same problem with my GT6, also noted in the same spot
at Summit Point.  I?m still not convinced it is not related to RPM - in lower
gears, you run through this range much more quickly, and I think it?s the RPM
combined with the speed and the longer time you spend in this RPM range.

Anyway, I found that both my driveshaft u-joints were slightly out of phase, as
were the u-joints on the rear axle half-shafts.  I don?t know what your
half-shafts are made with - cv joints, u-joints?  Mine are Spicer splined
sliding half-shafts with inner and outer u-joints.  A good driveshaft shop
corrected both of these issues, balanced everything, made sure all the u-joints
fit tightly in the yokes, etc.

The other thing I spent some time with was the alignment and mounting of the
differential.  The GT6 has far from optimum alignment of the differential
relative to the transmission - poke around on this subject but here?s one
article http://www.markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx
<http://www.markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx>

Anyway, the best I could achieve was to get the nose of the differential as
high as possible and the rear as low as possible, if I remember correctly.
Also, look at the mounts themselves - are they in good shape, tight?  My diff
is mounted with all aluminum spacers front and rear, no rubber, and i had the
rear ones made eccentrically so that I could adjust the rear up and down a bit.

It seemed that a combination of these things worked. No one item was the silver
bullet.  Not sure if this is a new problem for the car - if it is, I?d  suspect
the diff mounts or poor balancing of one of the rotating components.

Of course, we are assuming this is not suspension or engine vibration related -
good to eliminate all of those as well, but also relatively easy to check at
speed and you can usually feel it if it?s out at a wheel.

Scott