fot

[Fot] Kudos to Brian and Jason, plus a few notables

Subject: [Fot] Kudos to Brian and Jason, plus a few notables
From: billdentin at aol.com (Bill Dentinger)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:36:41 -0400

Amici...

According to the race results available on the VSCDA website, the FOT scored
another First Overall in the Father's Day Scramble Handicapped race at the
event late Sunday afternoon.

Terry Stephens, #62 TRIUMPH TR4 won beating the second placed car by over 42
seconds.  The Annual Father's Day Handicap Race is a 35 year old tradition at
the Blackhawk Vintage Classic.  In a Handicap Race all of the cars are staged
and started based on their best lap time of the week end.  The slower cars
start first, and the faster cars are released after them in a staggered fashion
so that theoretically all of the cars should hit the finish line
simultaneously.  That does not happen of course, but on paper it suggests that
it could.

At that very first Blackhawk Vintage Classic I can remember VSCDA Charter
Member Tom Moore, Group ONE (Pre WWII) MG-T racer handicapping that first
starter's grid on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I.  Of course computers have
evolved in the 35 years since, and it is considerably easier to do today with
modern Timing and Scoring equipment.  But VSCDA has been doing it for 35 years.
 Incidentally, Tom Moore was there again this past week end, and racing the
same MG-T.  As far as I know he still drives that car from Chicago to the
track, races it all week end, and then drives it back home Sunday night.

I also remember this all this stuff because I won the very first Handicapped
Race the VSCDA ever held.  I was the rabbit in Old Blue, and no one caught me.
Such handicapped races are especially great when you are at a new track and you
are still finding time in every session.

Anyway, HOORAY for Terry Stephens and another TRIUMPH First Overall.

Bill Dentinger

PS Recently someone referred to Tony Drews as, Tenacious Tony.  Boy!  That's a
fact.  As far as I can tell, Tony was the only other FOT TRIUMPH racer who
stuck around for the Dad's Day Scramble Handicap.  As far as I know Tony raced
in every session he was eligible for last weekend (except for the Hardship Warm
Up session on Sunday morning).  Tony cut his racing teeth at Blackhawk Farms
Raceway, and to this day...he still does not pass up a chance to race there
every chance he gets.  Tenacious Tony Indeed!