fot

[Fot] Brake Fluid.

Subject: [Fot] Brake Fluid.
From: duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com (Duncan Charlton)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:40:02 -0500
Way back when, the hot ticket for racing was Ford DOT 3.  It qualified as DOT 3
due to its low wet boiling point, but it?s dry boiling point was better than
most DOT fluids of the day.  No problem since the racers bled the system
between races.

I haven?t looked at the Ford fluid figures in a long time but if I was really
worried about boiling point I would use DOT 5.1, which has the same wet and dry
minimum boiling points as DOT 5 silicone fluid (500?F hot and 356? wet).  It is
polyethylene glycol-based (it must be less than 70% silicone by definition) so
it?s compatible with DOT 4 but it is not so easy to find these days.  It?s a
bit less viscous than DOT 3 or DOT 4, same viscosity as DOT 5.

Duncan Charlton

Texas