fot

[Fot] Better picture

Subject: [Fot] Better picture
From: tony.sheach at live.co.uk (Tony Sheach)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 21:05:53 +0000
Hi

On brake drums, I did a lot of work on these at the time BASTUCK started
remanufacturing these DATSUN 240z type finned drums. They were of variable
quality and fit / machining and that's what's happening again now. The issues
are in the process of casting the alloy around the steel inserts so
unfortunately these drums are just not going to withstand the rigours of
competition.

The MOSS / Racestorations products in 9 or 10 inch with the fins running round
the drum are much similar and again not much use.

The only options I've ever got to work are genuine Nissan / Datsun drums off a
240z, machines to fit the TR hub and backplate. There are 8 differences but the
casting process is good so it's worth the effort if you can find them.

If you are inclined a firm called Typecast in Leicester make a 10 inch Alfin
replica which is mainly for vintage use but they can supply to fit a TR. those
are terrific but ?1000 a pair.

Otherwise the OE cast drums are the way to go, in both 9 and 10 inch, hole
drilled to get more air through in between the bolt holes. The repro cast steel
ones also very good now and really cheap.

Hope this is useful. I use the 10 inch reproduction drums on my rally TR4,
drilled and with Mintex M20 linings and it works well.

Regards.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone

Sadly, it?s hard to find any good quality, worthy of a race car drums at this
point, cast iron or aluminum.

Nothing that is currently available new is even close to the original 9 inch
drums for the TR series.  They may be good enough for the polish it, pet it,
put it back in the garage crowd, but for
serious drivers the best option is to keep your originals as long as you can,
and hope you can find another serviceable set of used drums when the time
comes, as it will on a competition car.

Terry Stetler

Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:26 AM

Kas suggested a better picture, I kept them small to get them through Mark's
server. Hopefully this one goes through...

This is where the suspect drums came from:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/24-5051

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive