fot

[Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?

Subject: [Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?
From: billdentin at aol.com (Bill Dentinger)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 20:55:42 -0400
Amici...

How many of you guys remember Charlie Gibson?  He was one hell of a racer, and
also a partner in SASCO MOTORSPORTS (Racing Tires).  He was killed in a
regrettable work place accident when he was returning one of the big SASCO
semi-trailer rigs from an event, to their shop at VIR.  He was all alone, and
there was a 'brake issue.  When he disconnected the trailer, it rolled back
over on him and killed him.  SAD, Sad, sad!  But I bring him up because back in
the 1980s he was an avid vintage racer, and always brought a race car with him,
which he raced at events he sold tires at.  Anyway, racing tires was his
business. Super nice guy.  Like all of us, he had opinions, and he shared them.
 He said vintage race cars ought to be racing on tall, skinny tires.  He did
not seem to be hung up on compounds.  His hang up was profile.  He said our
cars should not run tires less than 70 profile. The VSCDA agreed with that, and
for our group...your tires had to be no less than 70 profile.  I can't remember
if there was a list of approved tires, but I do know Dunlop "Gumballs" were a
no-no.  They were made for a while, were almost as sticky as they were
expensive.  Early on...I had heard about them...but could not afford them.
Pity.  Dunlop tires look SUPER on a TR.

Bill Dentinger