fot

Re: [Fot] Mk 1 swing spring

To: Enquiries Road & Track <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mk 1 swing spring
From: Dennis Walje via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 19:46:48 -0600
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-39D4A5E3-058F-40C4-B7D6-736EDF339C72
        charset=utf-8

Thanks to all for responses on swing spring. I appreciate the great advice. I=
 have ordered a camber compensator from Apex2Apex.=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 5, 2020, at 10:50 PM, Enquiries Road & Track via Fot <fot@autox.tea=
m.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> On our race Gt6, we have a hybrid system. we have coil over shocks plus a s=
ingle transverse leaf mainly to comply with rules that say the original spri=
ng location must remain!!
>=20
> years ago we tried a swing spring but did not like it on circuit
>=20
> Terry
> Australia
>=20
>=20
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM Bob Totten via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wro=
te:
>> Amici,
>>=20
>> Herald to GT6 rear spring inquiries ???  Not sure if my experience will b=
e of any help as in my search to find a suitable answer for my own Spitfire.=
  A tribute car to the factory endurance cars of '64 and '65 built around a G=
T6 body on a spitfire chassis.  I'm using a 4:11 diff with a quaife LSD and f=
or the spring I am using a Composite Spring from Flex-A-Form out of South Ca=
rolina.  This spring is rated at 250 lbs. and is much lighter than the steel=
 units available for our cars. =20
>>=20
>> With all the many options and ideas for set-ups and modifications for the=
 rear springs one has to consider the final use for our car.  Mine is for au=
tocrossing and the one thing that has helped the most was finally switching t=
o this composite spring .  I have about 3 degrees of negative camber and the=
 car corners flatter in the corners without the notorious inside wheel lift a=
nd tuck. Handling has much improved in the car, at least for this autocrosse=
r.  I did not op for the camber compensator as ground clearance is reduced a=
s I drive my car on the street occasionally.
>> Of note, when used the late swing spring on my car I was also using a 3/4=
" thick spacer block between the diff and spring to help achieve the 3 degre=
es negative camber. =20
>>=20
>> Late Spit Swing Spring, heavy duty Spit spring, modified and de-cambered S=
pit and GT6 Springs these are the common offerings .  This composite spring i=
s something different as well as some instance of coil over conversions done=
 by some ingenious owners.
>>=20
>> Cheers and good luck,
>> Bob T
>> '64 Spit GT autocrosser
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
rade for a Mk 1 GT6?  (Non roto-flex)
>>=20
>> I am looking for best way to deal with rear camber extremes on my 68 GT6.=
 The rear suspension at completely stock at this time.=20
>>=20
>> Any ideas on what is best?  I found a part number in the Kastner performa=
nce manual but cannot locate retailer.=20
>>=20
>> How about a camber compensator?  Rear spring is original, so probably due=
 to replace.=20
>>=20
>> Thanks in advance
>>=20
>> Dennis Walje
>> 1968 GT6
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
aol.com
>>=20
>>=20
oadandtrack.net.au
>>=20
>>=20
bal.net
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-39D4A5E3-058F-40C4-B7D6-736EDF339C72
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Thanks to all for responses on swing spring=
. I appreciate the great advice. I have ordered a camber compensator from Ap=
ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Dec 5, 2020, at 10:50 PM, Enquiries Ro=
ad &amp; Track via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquote=
On our race Gt6, we have a hybrid system. we have coil over shocks plus a si=
ngle transverse leaf mainly to comply with rules that say the original&nbsp;=
tten via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0=
px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

 will be of any help as in my search to find a suitable answer for my own Sp=
itfire.&nbsp; A tribute car to the factory endurance cars of '64 and '65 bui=
lt around a GT6 body on a spitfire chassis.&nbsp; I'm using a 4:11 diff with=
 a quaife LSD and for the spring I am using a Composite Spring from Flex-A-Fo=
rm out of South Carolina.&nbsp; This spring is rated at 250 lbs. and is much=
 lighter than the steel units available for our cars.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

he rear springs one has to consider the final use for our car.&nbsp; Mine is=
 for autocrossing and the one thing that has helped the most was finally swi=
tching to this composite spring .&nbsp; I have about 3 degrees of negative c=
amber and the car corners flatter in the corners without the notorious insid=
e wheel lift and tuck. Handling has much improved in the car, at least for t=
his autocrosser.&nbsp; I did not op for the camber compensator as ground cle=
arance is reduced as I drive my car on the street occasionally.</div>

/4" thick spacer block between the diff and spring to help achieve the 3 deg=
rees negative camber.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

d Spit and GT6 Springs these are the common offerings .&nbsp; This composite=
 spring is something different as well as some instance of coil over convers=
ions done by some ingenious owners.</div>

riginal Message-----<br>
From: Dennis Walje via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; target=3D=
"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>