Some thoughts on recent threads...

To: "Geez List" <geez@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some thoughts on recent threads...
From: "Brent DeWitt" <bdewitt@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:26:12 -0600
Oh boy, my first post to the Geez! list.....

First:

I haven't run into the delete issue mentioned yet.  I'm using a Palm III
with a TRG 8 meg upgrade.  I've used both the Palm and my laptop about a
half dozen times each.  I'll keep my eye on it.

Second:

Contrary to some other folks (no offense meant), I rather like having the
separate download utility rather than using the hotsync conduit.  I'm a
pretty serious Palm user and have lots of apps on it.  A typical hotsync
does a lot of data transfer (read "time") that I'm not very interested in
when I'm reviewing the Geez! data, so the use of a separate program actually
speeds things up, if I remember to kill the conduit first.

On the flip side, I find it just as annoying when I forget to turn off the
conduit before using the GeezCube directly into my laptop (since they both
use COM1).  Nothing Byron could do about that.

Third:

Since I've been dumb enough to forget a couple of times; Byron, please add
"UP" to the end of the calibration button labels on the Palm Calibrate
program as a reminder (ie "Left Side UP").

Fourth:

Delorme (of mapping fame) sells a short, 8 inch cable for use with it's
Earthmate and Tripmate GPS systems that works perfectly with the GeezCube.
No other adapters required.  Sorry, I forget how much it cost me.

Fifth:

I'd like to hear other opinions about the value of having the laptop in the
car.  I'm still undecided.  I like the idea of reviewing my run before the
next one, but I don't seem to be fluent enough with the software yet to make
a good interpretation in the time between runs.  Is this hopeless, or do I
just need more practice?

Take care all......

Brent DeWitt
96 Neon ACR DS 93