Re: Wish list items

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wish list items
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:14:37 EDT
boysrus_racing@yahoo.com writes:

<< The 9-volt battery lasts longer than my laptop battery... WAAAAAY
 longer. I don't see 9-v battery life as an issue.  >>

It may last WAAAAAAY longer than your laptop battery, but I've had a number
of missed runs here and there because the power went low WAAAAY faster than I
thought it would.  I'm using Duracell and power it off between every run;
maybe I gotr a bad set of 9V batteries.  Personally, it's just one more added
hassle and problem IMO and I'd just as soon eliminate it when I have an
adequate 12V source available.  Since 12V is WAAAAY more voltage than the
Cube requires, getting it down to a clean required voltage should be no
problem.

BTW, if you power up your Cube and get a "No Device" message, but turning the
9V power on and off puts you on "Standby" you better seriously consider
replacing the 9V battery, less you miss a run when it shuts down before the
run is complete.

FWIW, Byron specifically addresses getting max battery life from both the
Palm and 9V booster in the software literature, but a lot of people don't
seem to be aware of it.  Here's a brief WAAAY to handle it:

1. Turn on 9V booster
2. Turn on Palm
3. Access Record mode, get "Standby" message, put in "Autostart"
4. Turn off Palm
5. Turn off 9V booster.

All batteries are off.  When it's time to run:

6. Turn on 9V booster.
7. Turn on Palm

System will turn back on in "Autostart" mode.  You are ready to run.

Make your run.  At the end of the run, after run data is automatically saved:

8. Turn off Palm.
9. Turn off 9V booster.

Next run repeat steps 6 - 9.  As long as you follow these proper steps
powering up and powering down the system will always stay in the "Autostart"
mode and you will minimize battery use between runs.

Mark Sipe