Re: Questions about the G-Cube

To: David Rigby <rigby@stratos.net>
Subject: Re: Questions about the G-Cube
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:02:31 -0700
Hi Dave,

I've never had any damage to a laptop using it in the car
with GEEZ.  I don't know of anyone else that has either.
But I would of course advocate some common sense, like, I
wouldn't bolt my laptop directly to the steel floor of a mod
car, or anything like that.  But in the interiors of stock
cars, they seem to work fine.  Just be sure it's secured,
and to test runs before you get to the track to be sure that
power management on your laptop, or screen savers, or things
like that don't interfere with the recording.  (Most of
these can be disabled to assure that everything works fine.)

When you buy a Palm M100, all the cables you need come with
either the G-Cube or the M100.  When you buy a Palm III, V,
or VII, you will need a HotSync cable to connect from the
Palm to the power module.  The III, V, and VII all come with
HotSync cradles, but not cables.  The cable won't work in a
moving car, as the Palm just sits on it, held down only by
gravity.  The cable is a more secure snap into the bottom of
the Palm.  That's one of the really neat things about the
M100...it's the cheapest Palm ($149 suggested retail), and
it includes just what we need for GEEZ.

The power supply is just big enough to hold a 9v battery,
and yes, that battery provides the power to the G-Cube.  We
recommend using the power supply with a laptop or a Palm.
Your laptop probably sends power down the serial line, but
our experience has been that most laptops have insufficient
power, (for differing reasons) so the power supply is the
sure, safe way to do it.

On a separate e-mail I'm sending Dave a picture of the
G-Cube and Power Supply.  I didn't want to spam the list
with an attached JPEG.  (Actually, I don't think the list
would pass it through anyway.)

Call if you have more questions, Dave!  And of course, if
anyone else has some words of wisdom to pass along, jump
right on in.

--Byron
  800-775-9511